More people than ever are now spreading their wings and opting to move abroad for a new life with a complete change of direction and perspective. The repetitive routines, taxes, stressful lives, and job dissatisfaction are all the major aspects that contribute and aid the strong feeling of us wanting to try something altogether new. To live a different life abroad seems very appealing and something that we would be well suited to.
If you are one of these people that have experienced these thoughts and feelings and have actually put a plan into action – here are 5 ways to settle in after moving abroad as an expat.
1. Choosing a reputable company to relocate your belongings before you go is a top priority, so that you can rest assured that once you have arrived, your precious belongings turn up on the correct date, time and at the location that you have agreed and that all belongings are in the same condition as when you left them with the movers. Then you can just unpack and start where you left off.
2. Look on the internet to find forums and discussion groups, which can help you link up with some other expats. Normally there will be sub forums inside the main ones, where you can chat with people that actually live local to your area. This local information will be more relevant to you. Another option is to search online to see if expat organizations or groups exist in your area.
3. Go out, socialize, be friendly and polite to people that you meet. Learn where the locals drink, eat and meet up and make yourself a regular at these places. Also have a look at what is on offer in the town and familiarize yourself with popular places and try all of the new things out, whether it is food or visiting the places of interest, so you can really get a feel for the place and what their culture and way of life is like.
4. Enroll in a local language course, so you can feel more involved and part of the community. By speaking the language you will feel less isolated and more confident as you will be able to communicate with friends, neighbors and anyone else that you meet. It is also a great way to meet new friends and contacts.
5. Keeping in touch with the friends and family back home is a comforting feeling, knowing that these days you can live anywhere in the world and communicate easily via phone or the internet, is a big plus. There are many reputable companies that offer reasonable calling cards to various different countries all around the world. The internet is widely available now so organizing a package with the local provider will also help you to stay in the loop and up to date with what is happening.
By following these tips you should find yourself more relaxed and at ease with your new home and its surroundings and you will have a positive feeling of being a part of your new community.
About The Author
Kim Kashmere writes for an expat community blog that provides calling cards to Italy and Swiss calling cards. As well as writing she enjoys Travelling, Photography and Walking with her Husband and Dogs.